History of the Library
The first library of Madrid started in 1934 in a little-used room in the City Hall, located over the old fire station and jail on West 2nd St. In 1953, the library moved into the new City Hall where the police station is now [and then had only half that space]. Cramped for space, in 1969 the library exchanged rooms with the council chambers. The library made another what was to be a temporary move in 1982, back to 107 W. 2nd St. in a store front that was the Gas Company. Finally, in 1999, the library moved into our present new building that has over 6400 sq. ft., with a separate room available for private or organizational use.
- Library History
- Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.