The first library of Madrid was started in 1934 by the Madrid Parent-Teacher Association. Their first building was a little-used room in the City Hall, located over the old fire station and jail on Second Street (next to Historical Society)
In 1952, the library moved into the new City Hall, and Miss Esther Sundberg was the head librarian. The library made another move in 1969, as the room they occupied became too small and exchanged rooms with the city council. Rosemarie Bertini started with the library in 1974, became the head librarian, in 1975, and worked in the library until 2009.
In 1982, the library was still growing and moved into larger quarters which had been previously occupied by the Madrid Post Office and People's Natural Gas Company, and now occupied by the Historical Society.
In 1999, the library finally moved into their own building which has over 6,000 sq. ft of space and includes a workroom, storage, and a separate meeting room.
The library has always kept pace with the new formats and programming. Today the library offers books on CD, music CDs, DVDs, video games, downloadable e-books and audiobooks, and of course print books. The library has 8 public access computer stations and has wireless internet access.
The staff has grown over the years and went from one librarian, to 6 employees, mostly all part-time.